Indirect Tax Compliance Specialist
Action is a fast-growing international non-food discounter with more than 1,400 stores in the Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, France, Luxembourg, Austria and Poland and more than 46,000 employees. With Dutch origins and a no-nonsense approach, Action is known for low prices and a diverse and surprising range. About a third of the more than 6,000 products Action sells are part of a standard range. The rest of the range varies and is continuously changing. The Action stores sell among others cleaning products, office supplies, toys and decoration. Over the last years, Action has won multiple prestigious retailer awards in various countries.
In 2018, Action achieved net sales amounting to EUR 4,216 million, an increase of 23.3% compared to 2017. Action achieved a strong growth in operating EBITDA to EUR 450 million in 2018, which is 16% higher than in 2017. Action opened 230 new stores in 2018 with a strong expansion in France, Germany and Poland.
Action is growing rapidly in terms of sales and profits, the number of stores and distribution centers and the size of its workforce. The group’s head office and largest distribution center are situated in Zwaagdijk-Oost in the province of North Holland (approx. 30 minutes by car from Amsterdam). For more details on Action please refer to https://www.action.com/en-gb/about-us/.
Action will continue the fast-paced store roll out and distribution center roll out in existing and new geographies. With strong international growth and the number of stores and distribution centers outside the Netherlands increasing, Action has developed from a Dutch company into a European Multinational Discount Retailer and continues to strengthen the organizational capabilities whilst staying focused on the unique proposition.
The Action Group Tax team currently consists of 6 FTE and is located at the head office in Zwaagdijk-Oost. The team is responsible for all direct and indirect related tax matters for all Action group entities. In the field of indirect taxes, Action distinguishes between VAT, customs and product taxes as three main categories. Product taxes relate to taxes, duties and charges that link to certain product specifications. Examples of these product taxes are: packaging tax, battery levy, excise duties and paper levy. On aggregate, Action is liable to more than 25 product taxes resulting in over 400 filings annually. Total product tax liability in 2018 amounts to over € 30 million and is increasing strongly. As Action introduces 150 new products on a weekly basis, there is an ongoing challenge in including these new products accurately and timely into the filing process.
Given Action’s rapid international expansion, both in existing and in new countries, combined with the increasing focus of international authorities on environmental related taxes, Action is looking for an indirect tax specialist who will be responsible for compliancy of the product tax domain. Reporting to the Indirect Tax Manager, you will work closely together with the two more junior Indirect Tax Compliance Officers, review their work and coach them in further developing their professional skills. Like with all indirect taxes, high quality product master data is crucial in this field of indirect taxes. There also is a strong focus on automation and IT solutions. As such, you will also be the Group tax team’s linking pin to various other stakeholder departments within Action.
Tasks & responsibilities Indirect Tax Compliance Specialist
- Develop the product tax control framework, by introducing new working processes, manuals, controls, monitoring and testing
- Be the first point of contact for the Master Data Management team and IT when developing and testing the various new IT solutions (SAP REA) in the product tax domain
- Monitor and test the quality of the Indirect Tax Compliance Officers’ weekly analysis of the product master data of Action’s approximate 150 new products
- Review the different monthly, quarterly and yearly product tax filings for all Action Dutch and non-Dutch entities as prepared by the Indirect Tax Compliance Officers
- Manage and be responsible for product tax related audits as initiated by authorities and external auditors
- Make proposals for efficient and effective working methods with the least possible complexity and implements these
- Be the main contact person regarding monitoring of law changes in the product tax area, such as rate changes and introduction of new product taxes
- Spot risks and opportunities in the product tax area and proactively communicate these to the Indirect Tax Manager and to other relevant stakeholders such as the Commercial Control Department
- Report to the Indirect Tax Manager and escalate where needed
Profile Indirect Tax Compliance Specialist
- Relevant Tax or Financial Bachelor or Master and/or relevant experience with product taxes
- At least five years of experience in tax and/or finance either in-house or within a consultancy, audit or tax advisory firm, or a combination thereof
- Affinity and/or experience with (indirect) taxes
- Knowledge of and/or experience with customs is considered a plus
- Good communication skills
- Good Excel skills
- Good knowledge of the English language, both spoken and written. Knowledge of Dutch, French, German or Polish language is considered a plus
- Organized, able to structure activities and projects, sticks to agreements within deadlines and according to guidelines
- Demonstrates a high level of pragmatism
- Works efficiently and effectively, also when under time pressure
- Works effectively with others to achieve common targets
- Critical, proactive, accurate, hands-on
- SAP expertise is no must but is considered a plus
Application Indirect Tax Compliance Specialist
- BTW Compliance / VAT Accountant
- BTW Specialist